Preventing and Treating Alzheimer’s and Dementia
Alzheimer’s Disease (AD) and Dementia is quickly becoming an epidemic. It is estimated that by 2050, 115million people in the US will have Alzheimer’s and that 50% of the people 85 or older will have AD.
Between 2000 and 2006 the rate of AD in the US increased by 47% while in that same period heart disease, breast cancer, prostate cancer and stroke together decreased by 11%.
Not only is AD a devastating disease for individuals and their family but at the rate AD is increasing it will truly bankrupt our medical system as the cost to maintain a person with AD is three times the cost of a person without AD.
The time to treat AD or dementia is not when it has set in but to begin early in life to prevent neurodegeneration. This can be accomplished through your diet, lifestyle, therapies and by avoiding products, medications and events (eg surgeries, avoiding or treating traumatic brain injury -TBI- early) which have been shown to highly correlate with the development of brain degeneration.
The following protocols for the treatment of dementia and AD should be incorporated in your early years so as to not let AD or dementia even get started. Nevertheless, the following recommendations have been shown to have great success (research by Dr. Marc Micozzi) and are so much more effective than Alzheimer’s drugs which have been shown to have a 95% failure rate, now on the market.
Concussions have been highly correlated with the development of AD and dementia. The more concussions experienced the more likely you will develop AD or dementia. Concussions (including whiplash) should be treated immediately on the part of the head where the trauma occurs with Glutathione (orally with Glutathione Liposomal and topically on the area with Glutathione gel). Recent studies have shown that this treatment reduces recovery time and the healing of the brain by 67% if used within the first hour of the trauma. This reduces brain inflammation as well as the formation of damaging brain proteins and toxins.
The more of the following recommendations that are incorporated the better the healing of brain neurodegeneration. Also the farther along the degeneration the more aggressive treatment must be. Remember that these treatments, products and therapies treat different contributors and factors leading to AD.
Brain neurodegeneration is not just due to one factor but many factors and that is why the recommendations are extensive and why the pharmaceuticals are so ineffective. The drug approach only targets one potential cause of brain degeneration (neurologic tangles and amyloid plaques) leaving the other factors untreated to continue damaging the brain.
Good luck with your journey to brain health. At the end I will introduce one amazing technology that has taken the treatment of neurodegeneration to a new level.
Avoid the following:
- Alzheimer’s drugs
- Statins- brains need cholesterol and CoQ10 which statins deplete
- Allergy medications- these suppress the brain and nervous system
- General anesthesia- suppresses and damages the brain
- Iron in supplements
- Aluminum in foods, cookware, personal hygiene products
- Sugar, carbohydrates, pasta, white bread which have negative effects on the brain and energy metabolism; should be minimized
- Gluten especially in wheat- gluten has many components such as gliadin that damage the brain and immune system
- Hard alcohol and other alcohol greater than 1 or 2 per day
- Recreational drugs
- Exercise 5 days per week- revitalizes the brain, creates brain derived neurotropic factor and helps circulation for brain healing
- Sleep 7-8 hours per day- if you sleep poorly this can be improved both through better physiology, bedroom factors and melatonin
- Brain exercises- math and word exercises improve brain function
- Meditation- learn this simple technique to reduce the damaging effects of stress on the brain
- If you have an old moldy house remediate this terrible problem as mold exposure in damaging to the brain
- Cranial work (aka cranial sacral) helps flush toxins from the brain, achieve better brain circulation and inflammation reduction
- Colonics- a constipated colon, gastrointestinal system reabsorbs toxins back into the body and directly causes brain inflammation
- Dentistry- see a Biologic Dentist to clean up toxins, avoid fluoride which accumulates in the pineal and thyroid and reduce inflammation
- Acupuncture- research shows amazing brain results
- Digestive enzymes with all meals- enzymes resolves many nutrient absorption problems and most reflux
- Fish- wild caught with low mercury; these include salmon, oysters, flounder, sardines, sole, shrimp, squid while avoiding tuna, swordfish, halibut
- Eggs- free range
- Green Leafy vegetables
- Red, blue and purple fruits
- Nuts and seeds
- Broccoli, tomatoes and other colorful vegetables
- Red onions
- Dark Chocolate
- Tumeric powder on food
- Red wine (2 or less glasses per day)
- Coffee (organic) 2-3 times per day
- Rooibos Tea
- Free range /organic meat 2-4 times per week; avoid pork
- Fermented foods and vegetables (eg Sauerkraut) to be held in mouth for 30+ sec so probiotics permeate into the brain; research shows probiotics in the brain are critical of top brain health (M. Ruggerio)
Vitamins, Herbs and Minerals:
- Vitamin D3 (10,000 IU per day)- liquid when possible
- Vitamin E (50 IU)- mixed tocopherols and tocotrienols
- Vitamin B’s- full spectrum (50 mg B2, B6, folic acid, B12)
- Biotin- 100 mcg
- Magnesium- 200-400 mg per day for blood vessel dilation
- Lutein- 12 mg per day
- Blue Berry Powder mixed in water for good absorption
- Ginger – 2000mg
- Dandelion extract up to 450 mg per day
- Berberine- up to 500mg per day in 2 doses
- Omega 3’s (minimize omega 6’s)
Other Highly Effective Products for Top Brain Health and Recovery:
- CoQ10 with PQQ or mitochondria and nerve cell regeneration
- Neuroflam to significantly reduce brain inflammation
- Pineal Code for the regeneration of the vital pineal gland (makes melatonin as well as other critical brain products)
- Glutamine to repair the protective Blood, Brain, Barrier (BBB) and repair leaky gut which contributes to brain degeneration
- Metabolic Tox for better metabolism and brain energy production
- Drainage Milieu to help the detoxification of the brain for overall better brain function
- Vitamin K2 for stimulation of GABA production in the brain (brain neurotransmitter and healer)
- Ginkgo- stimulates brain repair and better circulation
- Vital Life Force- broad spectrum body and brain healer
- Omega Gold- anti- inflammatory, normalizes cholesterol and blood sugar in the brain, helps with mood and thyroid, enhances prostaglandin production
This last product category has shown remarkable results for brain health and recovery (Dr. Paula Rochelle, ND). The more of these that can be incorporated into your brain healing and recovery the more effective will be the results.
Slowly begin them rather than using them all at once.
The final gem for achieving great brain recovery is a technology out of Europe that research has shown to be remarkably effective in increasing full body and brain microcirculation. The technology is called BEMER (see www.bemerinfo.org) . The biggest reason for the use of Bemer technology is for improved effectiveness in delivering nutrients and oxygen to the brain while removing toxins around brain cells. Additionally Bemer will make your program significantly more successful via this improved microcirculation. It may even accelerate the results and reduce the levels of nutrients eventually necessary for brain recovery.
If there are any questions contact me at
Good luck and enjoy the journey; your brain is critical for life enjoyment and fulfillment for you entire life span.